Monday, January 12, 2015







Day 44 pf


As'd promised I took my blood/glucose at 8 am today and the reading was  7.3  mmol/L. Bloody brilliant.

Not feeling hungry and very tired ( I'd spent half the night in the toilet straining) I didn't eat until I got home at 5 pm. I'd like to digress here for a paragraph or 2.

Whilst waiting at my elder brothers house in Ascot in 1970 for the $20 ticket to fly to Australia he had guests arrive from Sydney, a fairly well known metals recycler and wife and daughter. (My brother was a trader on the London metal exchange.) It was suddenly like having 3 Bazza McKenzies bobbing around and the strine was thick and plentiful. They were very colourful to say the least. When I told the father I was hoping to leave before Christmas he said that he had to tell me the best kept secret before I went. True to his word a few late nights later and with lots of cigars smoked and empty whisky bottles filling up desk paper bins he told me the secret, and I was impressed.

"If you've got piles" he said "and everybody does", long pause, "you use your thumb to push them back up again otherwise they'll hurt like buggery" an apt comparison I was sure. I'd long suffered in silence with a small pile. My father had a grape vineyard hanging from his arse and once when visiting me in hospital after I'd had a burst appendix he asked me why was the man in the next bed crying into his pillow and I told him he had had his piles cut off 3 days earlier. He was so upset he left early. I'd knew he'd been thinking about it. Until he died at 63 he was forever boiling underwear.For those with piles you must push them back up, I use my longest finger and cover them in something like 'Proctosedyl cream' and they're usually gone for months. I am forever grateful for learning that secret. No doctor in England ever mentioned it once to me.

After a small meal of eggs and a prawn at 6 pm I checked my BP 99/59 pulse 93. Lowest yet.

Blood /glucose 7.6 , weight down to 92 kg, slight drop. Ketones gone.

I sometimes wonder if British doctors still use the knife or have they finally admitted that the rubber band as used in Australian sheep castration is painless and by far the best method.



No comments: